CURRENT VOLUNTEER NEEDS
- Crosswalk Duty at Vernonia Schools Campus during drop off and pick up times
- Elementary Classroom Teacher Help
- Fluent German Speaker for VHS German Class
- Elementary Student Reading Support
- VHS Theater Arts Costume / Scene Creation Support
Welcome! Volunteers are a treasured resource in our schools. Our District works with teachers, parents and community members to place volunteers in meaningful assignments. The needs are great - from reading with students to chaperoning field trips - and the rewards for helping are priceless! Whatever your interest or time availability, we can find a place where you can help!
WHAT DOES VOLUNTEERING LOOK LIKE?
- Listen to a child read
- Be a mentor
- Share special knowledge through lectures and demonstrations
- Help in the library, classroom or school office
- Assist the teacher with material preparation
- Chaperone field trips, school dances and other activities
VOLUNTEER PROGRAM GOALS:
- to involve more parents/community members in our schools
- to assist teachers in providing more individual help and instruction to students
- to relieve teachers of many non-teaching duties and tasks
- to strength school/community relations through positive participation
- to build an understanding of schools among citizens
- Dress and act appropriately while at school. As a volunteer you are a role model.
- Please do not bring other children with you to volunteer.
- Upon arrival, sign in at the main office and pick up a volunteer badge.
- If you are unable to volunteer at your scheduled time, contact the school office 503 429-1333.
- Always keep information about students confidential.
- Do not use this time to have personal conversations with the teacher about your child. Schedule a meeting outside the instructional day.
IMPORTANT QUALITIES of VOLUNTEERS:
- Punctuality - always arrive on time for any volunteer activity
- Dependability - teachers and staff members rely on the services performed by volunteers. If you are unable to volunteer on your scheduled day, please contact the school so other arrangements can be made
- Confidentiality - volunteers must protect the teachers' and students' right to privacy. you may not disclose school affairs or personal matters which come to your attention. Discuss students only with the teacher or staff member you are working with.